Monday, March 22, 2010

Artificiality is Not Recommended

Phew, it’s been a while since an update. This past week has been whirlwind for me. After three nights of rehearsal in a row, I was whisked off to New York City for a short vacation. I had an amazing time! I was particularly inspired by the shows that I was able to see. Next to Normal was my favorite by far. I hope to use this inspiration in my preparation for The Wild Party. I was particularly enthralled by the fact that the actors in the show were such amazing characters, both individually and in relation to each other. Nothing seemed artificial in the world that was created by the abstract set, and this is what kept me glued to the edge of my seat while watching.



With this inspiration, I am now going to have to work extra hard to keep up with rehearsals. I missed one rehearsal, and due to scheduling the cast isn’t really getting to rehearse again for a number of days. This means that I find myself humming the tunes in the car, doing a few of the dance steps as I wait in line at the grocery, and find myself anxiously reviewing my script to see what I do while other scenes are taking place. I mean, this is typical rehearsal life; I’m just in the thick of it.


I’ve found myself making up funny little rhymes and image sequences to remember phrases and steps. I imagine a fox, an anchovy, a glued-on bikini top, and a full stomach as I remember the lyrics “lightly, quickly, slightly sickly, pasty, tasty…” I think it’s funny sometimes, and it keeps things interesting among the long lines of text in the lyrics.


I’m really excited for tonight’s rehearsal, when I will be learning Jackie’s Last Dance, which will be my few minutes in the spotlight for this show. I am curious to see how Robin choreographs it, and hope that it will really culminate some of my thoughts about my character.


P.S. We open a month from tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment